At Wesleyan University, Bruner/Cott is transforming a vacant factory building into a new Integrative Arts Lab. Situated at the corner of Hamlin and College streets at the edge of campus, the site was formerly home to the Mohawk Manufacturing Company, among others. The oldest structure on site was constructed in 1850, with an addition built in 1922.
The new Integrative Arts Lab will become a nexus for the arts at Wesleyan – a social place that encourages community, collaboration, and conversation. Spaces within will be arranged to support students and encourage disciplinary work. The program includes spaces for visual arts, performing arts, maker spaces along with a flexible arts commons. Contemporary additions to the existing T-shape complex will expand the capabilities of the new facility, blending old and new.
The project will reinforce Wesleyan’s commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility, and meet aspirational sustainability goals that conserve resources, prioritize occupancy health and wellness, and limit embodied carbon through building reuse.