Bruner/Cott’s Portland Foreside project consists of transformative reuse of ten buildings within the Portland Company Historic District along with new townhouses and extensive landscape changes that include altering the alignment of an existing narrow gauge railway. Total building square footage is approximately 58,000 gsf.
The Portland Company began foundry work and fabrication of locomotives in 1846 and continued manufacturing into the last decades of the 20th century. Restoration of five buildings for market halls, event space, retail and offices coexists with new construction on foundations of collapsed buildings along a 40-foot high, 19th century granite sea wall. A three-story 1895 brick warehouse for storage of wooden casting patterns is carefully dismantled for reconstruction on a new site within the historic district.
Full construction work is scheduled for 2020 with Consigli Construction Company as the builder. The design is subject to review with the Maine Historic Preservation Commission. Rehabilitation plans have been approved by the Portland Historic Preservation Board.
Maine Preservation, 2023 Preservation Honor Award