The Crown and Eagle (built 1825–1827) was the flagship of the Blackstone Industrial Valley textile mills. Carefully detailed and fitted with locally quarried granite blocks, the building was a recognized hallmark in New England Mill construction. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and slated for renovation, the entire complex was senselessly destroyed by arson a few days before the start of scheduled construction. The burned site and unstable masonry shell lay abandoned for seven years amidst 20 feet of charred debris.
The daunting restoration began and lost pieces were rebuilt, as if conserving a Greek urn. Wherever possible, original walls were preserved and new walls, using modern materials, restored the mill’s original shape. Water sets the mood for the historic site; landscaping and site work focus on the canals. The stately Crown and Eagle, reconstructed under HUD cost-containment guidelines, is now senior housing with a library, meeting and community rooms.
1985 Boston Society of Architects – Excellence in Housing Award
1984 AIA New England – Award for Excellence