Jason J. Jewhurst AIA
Partner + Principal
Jason has been a Principal, and more recently, a Partner, at Bruner/Cott since 2004. Inspired by architectural challenges that demand innovation and adaptable solutions, he thrives on leading teams to realize them…design teams that explore possibilities and push current building standards to create sustainable, long-lived, contemporary buildings…and multi-disciplinary teams that collaborate with them to plan and construct a collective vision.
Jason’s passion for integrating design and the natural environment informs all of his work. A specialist in high-performance buildings, commercial development, and campus initiatives, he has led several transformative projects including the AIA COTE Top 10 Award/Living Building-Certified R.W. Kern Center at Hampshire College; and, as executive architect, the Richard A. & Susan F. Smith Campus Center at Harvard University, which transformed a 60s-era brutalist complex into a welcoming front door for the institution and community alike. Most recently, he was principal on the reimagining of the Swift Factory in Hartford, Connecticut, a diversity-focused job incubator for an underserved HUD Promise Zone.
The recipient of a Living Hero Award from the International Living Future Institute (ILFI), Jason is enthusiastic about sharing knowledge with the professional community as well as inspiring tomorrow’s practitioners. He speaks widely at high-profile conclaves and other venues including the AIA National Conference on Architecture, the International Living Future Institute, NESEA’s BuildingEnergy Conference, and the Boston Society of Architects on topics including high-performance and net positive design, sustainable materials, and campus transformations. He also lectures at leading academic institutions including Boston University, Harvard University, Macalester College, Rhode Island School of Design, Wentworth Institute of Technology, and Yale University.
Recent Key Projects:
- Harvard University, Richard A. & Susan F. Smith Campus Center
- Hampshire College, R.W. Kern Center
- Speedway HQ
- Swift Factory
- 808 Memorial Drive
- Harvard University, Harvard Hall
- ARCHITECT, Redefining the Green Campus: Hampshire College’s R.W. Kern Center is a Living Building Success Story
- ArchDaily, For Us, Every Project Is About Moving Forward: In Conversation with Jason Forney, Jason Jewhurst, and Dana Kelly of Bruner/Cott Architects
- BD+CU, Materiality and the Reimagining of Historic Buildings
- Building Design + Construction, Connecticut’s Swift Gold Leaf Factory Becomes a Community Job Incubator
- Cultured Magazine, Forward Thinking
- Ecotone Publishing, Living Building Makers: Creating Sustainable Buildings that Renew Our World
- Living Building Chronicle, COVID Breaks Barriers Between Inside and Outside
- New York Times, Can You Solve This Building?