Harvard Hall is a brick, granite, and brownstone classroom building situated at the edge of Harvard Yard and Harvard Square, designed in the High Georgian style by Governor Francis Bernard and built by Thomas Dawes between 1764-1766. Originally designed to hold a library, chapel and classrooms, the interior has changed over time to be used specifically as a classroom building. One-story brick wings on either side of the central projecting bay were designed by Ware and Van Brunt Architects in 1870 for additional classroom space.
Bruner/Cott worked with Harvard University and the Cambridge Historical Commission on a comprehensive, highly-detailed restoration of Harvard Hall’s exterior. Major preservation accomplishments of the exterior restoration project include reconstituting deteriorated brownstone profiles with new stone, reuse of original brownstone harvested from the building, reconstruction of the cupola’s belfry and execution of a thorough paint analysis and historic paint color selection. The building was returned to the 1870 time period with new stone at the addition and its period paint color reinstated at window trim, cornice trim and cupola cladding. Other repairs include replacement of failing window sashes and improvements to safety lighting at the entrance stair and architectural lighting within the cupola.
2020 Cambridge Historical Commission, Preservation Award
2020 Preservation Massachusetts, Robert H. Kuehn Preservation Award
The Architect’s Newspaper, Bruner/Cott & Associates deploy craftsmanship and historical research to restore Harvard Hall
World Architecture News, Bruner/Cott Architects Preserve and Restore Harvard Hall