The Emerson Literary Society, the only non-Greek society at Hamilton College, was established in 1882 to honor the life of Ralph Waldo Emerson and his American philosophy. This project renovated and expanded the building to become Hamilton College’s new campus center, Emerson Hall.
Emerson Hall is now Hamilton’s major campus crossroads, encompassing a book store, meeting rooms, student lounges, and dining area/food court. The program integrates the building into the existing campus by being both contextually responsive and environmentally responsible. Key aspects of the building’s original design elements have been preserved and combined with the new addition, which adds natural light and a modern design aesthetic.
Sustainable features include a closed-loop geothermal well system; closed cell spray foam insulation in walls and roof; high-performance, insulated windows; low or no-VOC interior finishes, paint and caulk; and energy-efficient appliances and fixtures for reduced water and electricity consumption.
2011 The Business Journal | A Time to Build, Best Green Project Award